Undergraduate Psychology Department Scholarships
Scholarship applications will be available January 1, 2019.
Submissions will be due by March 1, 2019.
Items to prepare for the 2019 – 2020 scholarship application
Two Letters of Recommendation
On the application, you will be asked to provide a name and email address of two references who have agreed to submit a confidential reference form or letter on your behalf. One reference must come from an academic. Your reference will be notified via email through the application process on how to submit their confidential reference form or letter. All recommendations must be signed and on letterhead.
While it is not a requirement for the application, the committee encourages all eligible applicants to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) so that you don't miss out on opportunities for a Pell Grant.
Undergraduate Psychology Scholarships currently offered:
SCHOLARSHIP NAME: Tuition waiver – PSYCHOLOGY
Available to: Undergraduate students in Psychology
- Student must plan on taking 12 credits or more in both the Fall and Spring semesters of 2019-2020
- Be a Utah Resident
- Be a first time Bachelor's Degree student
- Have at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA at the University of Utah.
- Be officially declared as a Psychology Major.
Amount of Award: $5,000
Additional Information: This scholarship does not cover any mandatory fees (lab, class, ASUU fees, etc.).
SCHOLARSHIP NAME: THE DANIELLE VACCA SCHOLARSHIP
Available to: Undergraduate and graduate students in Psychology
Selection Criteria: The award is given to a student who has experienced loss at the hands of a drunk or impaired driver. The award is made from applications to the Department of Psychology that include a personal essay on the impact of drunk driving on the applicant.
Amount of Award: Typically $4,000.
Number of Awards: Typically one.
About: The Danielle Vacca scholarship was established in 2013 by Danielle Vacca's father, Joe Vacca, and her grandmother, Sina Vacca, to honor Danielle Vacca. Danielle was a University of Utah student killed in an auto accident by a drunk and impaired driver. Psychology has had the honor of awarding this scholarship since Fall, 2015. The Danielle Vacca scholarship provides $2,000 per semester for two semesters to juniors or seniors majoring in Psychology whose lives have been affected by a drunk and impaired driver. Qualified candidates must carry a minimum GPA of 3.0, maintain full-time enrollment during the scholarship period, and verify U.S. citizenship or legal resident status. In exceptional cases and with sponsor approval, the award can be split between two candidates. The applications are due at the same time as the Departmental and CSBS scholarship applications, in the spring term of each year.
Danielle Vacca Image Gallery
Click on a thumbnail image to see larger view.
Please Note: The following scholarship(s) have a separate scholarship application process. These cannot be applied for via the department application.
Scholarship Name: Future Counselors of America Scholarship
Available to: Undergraduate and graduate students in Psychology who seek a career in relationship counseling or a related field.
- Minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA
- 500-word (minimum) to 900-word (maximum) word essay entitled, "The Psychology of Online Dating." The essay should address the psychological issues and challenges facing singles given the growing popularity of online dating, and how relationship professionals can help online daters navigate these challenges. See more details at: http://www.datingadvice.com/scholarship
Amount of Award: $1,000
Entries postmarked by: June 30th, annually
Disbursement on: July 31st, annually
- Please title your essay “The Psychology of Online Dating”
- List your full name as recognized by your educational institution and a valid (.edu) email address
- Essay should be 12 point font, Times New Roman, double-spaced, 1-inch margins
- Any resources should be cited using MLA format
- Any plagiarism or fabrication will disqualify student from award disbursement
Mail official transcript and original essay to:
c/o Digital Brands Inc.
15 SE 1st Ave, Suite B
Gainesville, FL 32601
More Financial Resources
- Undergraduate Psychology Service & Internship (UPSI) Award
- The Undergraduate Psychology Service & Internship (UPSI) Award allows undergraduate psychology students who might otherwise be unable to engage in unpaid internships to pursue opportunities for meaningful professional and career development and community engagement. Certain criteria must be met in order to qualify.
- Hinckley Institute Scholarships
- College of Social and Behavioral Science Scholarships
- University of Utah Scholarships
- University of Utah Undergraduate Research Opportunities
- University of Utah Honors Scholarships
- University of Utah Alumni Association Scholarships
- University of Utah Women's Club Scholarships
- University of Utah Career Services Resources
- Outside Financial Aid Resources