HUMAN FACTORS CERTIFICATE PROCESS AND REQUIREMENTS
Overview of Necessary Steps to Complete Certificate:
- Make sure that the minimum requirements are met to begin the certificate:
- Attain a grade of C or better in General Psychology (PSY 1010)
- Have a 2.8 cumulative GPA at the University of Utah
- If the minimum requirements are met, you may schedule an appointment to meet with the Human Factors academic advisor and email the Program Coordinator,
Kristina Rand at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Human Factors academic advisor can help you plan for completion of the required courses and electives.
- Kristina Rand will discuss how to find a faculty mentor, as well as a timeline for completing the independent project before graduation. The project portion of the certificate – including research and the project execution – will take 2 semesters, so please plan ahead.
- Begin or continue taking the required courses, and at least one elective course. See Certificate Requirements section below.
- Obtain a faculty mentor and begin your research. If all is going well, and you are in good standing with your faculty mentor, you may register for PSY 4955 – Human Factors Project.
- To register in PSY 4955: Human Factors Project, complete the permission code request
- PSY 4955 Permission Code Request Form
- Upon completion of your project, you must obtain a final signature from your faculty mentor endorsing your work on a completed Human Factors Completion Checklist, and submit that signature to Kristina Rand. If you would like assistance ensuring that you have met all the course requirements for the checklist, schedule an appointment with the Human Factors academic advisor.
If you are a transfer student, it should be possible to obtain the certificate as long as the research project is started by the first semester of your senior year. Please schedule an appointment to meet with the Human Factors academic advisor and email the Program Coordinator, Kristina Rand at email@example.com ASAP to begin your requirements.
- Earn a grade of C or better in General Psychology (PSY 1010)
- Maintain a 2.8 cumulative GPA at the University of Utah
Elective Courses (1 class minimum)
To be completed in conjunction with Psych 3171, Psych 3172 or Psych 3160
Be Aware That:
- All courses required for the certificate must be completed with a grade of C or better.
- If a student wishes to have a transfer course evaluated as equivalent to any of the above courses, please submit a Petition For Course Substitution.
- With the exception of Psych 1010 and Psych 3000, classes taken over 10 years ago do not fulfill certificate requirements.
- In order to complete the certificate, you MUST have a faculty mentor that supports your work. Completing the courses and doing research is not sufficient.